Zoning and Planning
Planning and Zoning is responsible for planning, historic preservation and zoning administration and enforcement in the City. The unit prepares and amends Reading’s Comprehensive Plan and land use and zoning ordinances while providing support to the City Planning Commission, Zoning Hearing Board, and Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB). The division also prepares neighborhood and redevelopment plans, reports and maps; provides technical assistance to City departments on projects that have an impact on Reading’s historical structures (particularly demolitions); reviews zoning plans and permit applications; performs inspections; and issues enforcement notices for noncompliance with the City's zoning ordinance.
This office is responsible for interpreting and enforcing the Zoning Ordinance. This office reviews permit applications, conducts research to verify the zoning status of a given property, and responds to zoning-related complaints.
To view the zoning classification of a particular area please view the zoning map..
Outdoor Dining FAQ / Cena al aire libre preguntas frecuentes
Remember, Zoning Permits are required before starting any of the following activities:
- Erection, construction, movement, placement or expansion of a structure, building or sign
- Change of the type of use or expansion of the use of a structure or area of land.
- Creation of a new use.
- Demolition of a building.
- Establishment of mineral extraction or an outdoor business storage area.
- Construction or expansion of a vehicle parking area.
- Increase the number of dwelling units or boarding house units.
Contact: Zoning Office