Special Events Coordinator
THE POSITION OF: Special Events Coordinator
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: City Clerk/275th Steering Committee
POSTING DATE: November 10, 2021
STARTING PAY RATE: DOQ – Contract
The purpose of this position is to organize meetings, events, activities, and community relations associated with the celebration of the City's 275th Anniversary with the Steering Committee, the subcommittees, and the public.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
• Directs, supervises, and evaluates the planning, organizing, administering, marketing of meetings, events, activities, and publicity associated with the celebration and investigates service delivery problems, and implements solutions.
• Makes recommendations to the Steering Committee for events and activities.
• Coordinates with technical, professional, and administrative staff, as well as contractors and volunteers. Interviews and recommends thehiring of volunteers, advisory groups members, employees, and service providers.
• Prepares volunteers assigned to assist at events and activities.
• Develops budgets for events and activities and performs fundraising, including sponsorships, to support events and activities.
• Prepares and submits the required Special Events Permit applications required by City policy.
• Negotiates contracts and monitors contracted services. Prepares requests for proposals, contracts, and bid specifications for equipment and services. Assures contract provisions meet City standards. Evaluate contractor's performance and recommends extending or terminating contracts. Provides technical assistance and information to contract service providers.
• Represents the City with other public agencies.
• Serves as liaison between city and other civic and community groups. Responds to public inquiries, requests and concerns.
• Utilizes word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications. Applies knowledge of current technology to enhance and upgrade service
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
• Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Political Science, Marketing or a related field, or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, abilities, and significant knowledge of the City's history.
• A minimum of three (3) years experience in (or combined in) public, business administration, or marketing.
• Knowledge of the City's history. Any combination of education and experience in office administration, event planning, budgeting, fundraising, and troubleshooting.
• Requires a valid PA driver's license.
• Ability to use functional reasoning in performing influence functions such as supervising, managing, leading, teaching, directing, and controlling.
• Ability to apply knowledge and experience to work situations observed and to create/design new, innovative approaches.
• Ability to operate office equipment and machinery requiring simple but continuous adjustments, such as computer keyboard/typewriter, calculator/adding machine, telephone, photocopier, and fax machine.
*Requirements included in this specification may be subject to modification in order to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities who are otherwise qualified to perform the job's essential duties.