Employment Opportunities with the City of Reading
To apply for employment with the City of Reading, download and complete an Employment Application (Fillable) specifying the type of employment/position you are applying for, attach resume' if applicable and send to:
City of Reading
815 Washington Street – Room 3-03
Reading, PA 19601
An EEO/AA Employer by choice.
Male/female/disability all given equal consideration
“The City of Reading, PA is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to compliance with all Federal, State, and Local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identities or expressions, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status and other protected classifications. This policy applies to all employment decisions including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, pay practices, benefits, disciplinary actions and terminations."
Public Works Director
- Leads the development of the department’s strategic plan and five-year capital improvement plan.
- Assures compliance with professional standards and overall engineering integrity of all facilities, equipment and rolling stock.
- Directs the continuous cost evaluation process and initiates cost saving and quality improvement initiatives.
- Provides consultation and advice to the Planning Commission, City Council and Administration.
Development and Inspection Clerk
The clerk ensures the smooth and seamless process of scheduling, compiling appropriate Housing and Health related documents and billing related fees. Development and Inspection Clerks have direct contact with both external and internal customers; therefore, the clerk will have excellent communication and customer service skills. Also, the clerk must be able to readily adapt to, accept and implement changing codes and ordinances.
- GIS user needs studies; GIS applications development and GIS technology implementation
- Maintain, update and develop software, data when necessary
- Provide technical support to users
- Answer inquiries concerning systems operation problems; recommends, or preforms, remedial actions to correct problems
- Performs other duties as needed
Systems Administrator/Assistant Director
The Systems Administrator provides operational and technical support in the Reading Library District. They oversee the Internet, LAN, remote networks, firewall, web servers, and databases for the Reading District Libraries. Provides research and consultation to the District, and assists with the Library’s administrative and operational functions, particularly with library security and facilities.
Equipment Operator II – Sewers
This position requires experience with the operation and maintenance of underground utilities to perform repairs, replacement, and rehabilitation via excavation work, pipe inspection and cleaning using specialized in-pipe equipment, and preventive maintenance to maintain the sanitary and storm sewer facilities owned by the City of Reading.
Responsible for developing, preparing, monitoring and administering federal, state, local and private grant applications. This position plans, performs and coordinates the activities related to researching and identifying grant funding sources, writing and submitting grant applications, and overseeing completion of grant obligations. Work is performed in accordance with established practices, requiring initiative and sound judgement. This position reports directly to the Director of Finance.
CD Deputy Director
The Community Development Deputy Director will oversee Housing Urban Development (HUD) programs. The CD Deputy Director is responsible for coordinating all programs related Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) developing, implementing and executing the grants offered for multiple programs to assist revitalizing the City of Reading’s real estate, including developing blight strategies, directing, identifying, remediating and reutilizing of abandoned and blighted vacant properties, maximizing revenue potential of City-owned, or encumbered, real estate; managing City’s housing loan portfolio; overseeing the administration of federal, state and local grant programs funding housing or real-estate related activities.
Maintenance Worker II (Electrical/Mechanical)
- Perform all necessary maintenance tasks to maintain compliance with all Clean Water Act/Clean Stream Law requirements, NPDES Permit parameters, and all other applicable regulatory requirements, industry standards and manufacturers recommendations
- Assist Operations and other teams with any and all corrective tasks that arise
- Communicate any disruptions of treatment units due to maintenance tasks to the Operations staff or others as appropriate
Part-Time Downtown Ambassador
The part-time Downtown Ambassador assists in creating a clean, safe and welcoming environment to all who frequent Downtown, including tourists, business people, residents, organizations, and vulnerable street population.
Property Maintenance Inspector
This position will be responsible for inspecting single and multi-family dwellings within the City to ensure compliance to City-Housing Codes. This position will entail frequent contact with other employees in the Division; as well as daily contact with housing dwellers. There is limited contact with City employees outside the Division.
Human Resource Director
The Human Resource Director is responsible for overseeing daily operations within the Human Resources Division, including administering policies and procedures, programs and practices, planning, organizing, training and development, departmental development, employee relations, benefits and compensation.
Garage Maintenance Mechanic
- Repair, service and maintain automotive and truck equipment.
- Required to make major engine repairs to diesel and gasoline engines.
- Removal or light repair of auto and manual transmissions, clutches and differentials.
Assistant City Solicitor
- Participates in the development and interpretation of City departmental policies
- Reviews and drafts contracts and other agreements
- Provide counsel and advice on legal matters and the important aspects of government relationships
- Participates in, or conducts litigation, including preparing for and attending hearings, depositions and arbitrations
Part-Time Zoning Clerk
- Greets visitors and distributes information on specific properties by answering calls, emails and walk-in requests
- Scans documents, enters information into database systems, and provides other required clerical and administrative support to Zoning, Planning and Historic Preservation
- Receives and processes fees; maintains financial records pertaining to land use and zoning applications, and assists with payment of invoices
PT Administrative Assistant
- Perform a variety of clerical, administrative, and general office duties and functions;
- Provide customer service in person and by telephone;
- Have strong customer service skills;
- Maintain and handle highly confidential and sensitive information and process personnel action;
- Creates and maintain City personnel records and files;
Part-Time Relief Video Monitor
- Maintains constant surveillance of the City cameras within the Video Safety Unit
- Alerts police to suspicious activity and crimes in progress.
- Operates all surveillance camera equipment, including but not limited to Video Monitors, Computers, Digital Recorders, Cameras and Controllers.
Part Time Grounds Maintenance
The candidate for this position must be able to work independently or on a crew in an outdoor setting, completing tasks consistent with grounds maintenance. This includes working in all elements of weather throughout the year.
The City of Reading is seeking an energetic individual who will assume the challenging opportunity to address the planning needs of an urban city. This is a hands on position to help manage the planning activities of the City. This individual will be provide the zoning and planning decisions after reviewing submitted plans. Administers staff of professionals, including meeting with Developers and Investors through the One Stop Shop permit services that include Planning, Zoning and Codes.
If you are interested in becoming a City of Reading Firefighter/EMT, Firefighter/Paramedic or Police Officer please click their respective link for information on applications.
Information on upcoming Civil Service testing dates for the Police Department are located here and for the Fire Department here.