PROPERTY MAINTENANCE CODE SUMMARY
This summary of the City of Reading Property Maintenance Code provides you with a checklist of some of the code standards Property Maintenance Inspectors will be looking at during the inspection. This is not a complete copy of the Code. The Property Maintenance Code is available here.
For questions and additional information, please call 610-655-6283.
FIRE AND SAFETY
- A 3 lb. ABC Fire Extinguisher is required in all kitchens.
- Smoke detectors:
- Are required on all levels of premises including attics and basements.
- Must be installed inside all sleeping areas, as well as one outside of all sleeping areas.
- In buildings with three or more units: must be AC powered with battery back-up, inter-connected on every floor of public halls, basements, and common areas.
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms:
- Are required in all residential, apartment units and multifamily dwellings that use fossil fuel-burning appliances or have an attached garage.
- Must be installed in a centrally located area near bedrooms and the fossil fuel-burning appliance and on every level of a dwelling, including basements. Exception: unfinished attics and crawl spaces.
- All buildings with three or more units and/or three or more floors must have an approved second means of egress (e.g., fire exit, fire escape).
- All means of egress shall have an unobstructed path, proper walking surfaces, and safety rails.
- Must be maintained free of all appliances, TV sets, car parts, indoor furniture, and all forms of rubbish and recyclables.
- All buildings must be in sound condition and in good repair.
- All accessory structures (e.g., fences, retaining walls, garages) shall be maintained in good repair.
- All surfaces must be free of rust, loose, rotted material, and peeling paint, and be properly coated to prevent deterioration.
- Street number must be visible at front of property.
- Rain gutters and down spouts must be in place and in good repair.
- Hand and safety rails must be in place.
- Steps and walking surfaces must be in good repair.
- Approved trash receptacles and containers with lids.
- Grass and weeds must be maintained at less than 6” throughout the entire property.
- Graffiti must be covered or removed.
- All exterior openings must be protected against rodent entry.
- All floors, walls, and ceilings must be in good repair.
- All windows and window locks must be free of cracks and in good working order.
- Window/door screens are required and must be available from May 1 to September 30.
- All hand and safety rails must be in place.
- All exterior locks, including Hasp locks, must be removed from all interior doors.
- All basement walls must be in good repair.
- Water heater and furnaces must have proper pressure relief valve tube.
- Water meter must have grounding jumper.
- Plumbing fixtures must be supplied with public and/or approved private system.
- Heating facilities must be present to supply heat at 68 F in all habitable rooms and/or areas.
- All electrical equipment, wiring, and appliances shall be properly installed and maintained in a safe and approved manner.