THE READING AREA FIREFIGHTERS MUSEUM
5TH & LAUREL STREETS, READING, PA 19602
READING AREA FIRE MUSEUM OPEN HOUSE & KIDS FIRE SAFTEY DAY
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2023 - 10 AM TO 2 PM
The Reading and Berks County community is invited to a free open house at the Reading Fire Museum to celebrate National Fire Prevention month and the 275TH Anniversary of the City of Reading on Saturday, September 30th from 10 AM to 2 PM.
The free open house will include guided tours of each museum room by museum volunteer staff depicting the evolution of our community and firefighting methods dating to the beginning in 1771. See how our community grew and how the volunteer fireman used leather buckets to suppress fires with the help of citizens who formed bucket brigades to bring water to the fire.
- Tour the 1876, 2nd floor Liberty Fire Company Meeting Room and newly restored 1854 furniture.
- Step back in time to tour the 1876 “John Wanamaker – Best Room” which hosted special guests during fire company and city-wide events.
- Have photo opportunities next to the fireman-pulled and horse-drawn hand-pumpers, steamers and hose carts.
- Have your photo taken next to each of our motorized fire engines, including our new “off the frame restoration” of the 1931 Liberty Fire Company Buffalo Pumper.
- Learn how to safely evacuate your home during a fire and then practice it in the Exeter Kid’s Fire Safety House.
- Shake hands with our Fire Museum Mascot named “BLAZE”.
- Dress up in real firefighter gear to see how hard a firefighter works at a fire.
- Talk to real career firefighters from the Reading Department of Fire & Rescue Services and see their modern fire apparatus.
- There is so much to see and experience, including visiting our “Fire Museum Store” before you leave which helps to support our mission.
Fire Museum Open House Day is free and fun for the whole family! Parking is available in the neighborhood. All children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.