Nominations and Appointment Committee Agenda 11/01/21
Monday, November 1, 2021
The Nominations and Appointments Committee will meet as needed to address nominations and appointments to the City’s boards, authorities and commissions.
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 419 292 6522
Dial by your location
877 853 5257 US Toll-free
888 475 4499 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 419 292 6522
4:00 – Michel Micozzi – reappointment – Library Board
Review Pending Applications Memo (see page 4), BAC Openings (see page 6) & Board, Authority, Commission Membership
Reading Public Library (RPL) Board of Trustee Facts
City Council accepted the donation of the 5th and Franklin library building and its materials by ordinance in 1889. There is record that the Library Company had been in existence since 1763. When enacting the ordinance the City agreed to establish a free public library for the use and benefit of the citizens and residents of the City of Reading, to be reasonably maintained at the public expense under the authority of an Act of Assembly, entitled- “An Act empowering any city in this Commonwealth to take and hold donations of money, books, real and personal property, for the purpose of a free library in said city, and to make appropriations to maintain the same”. The City also agreed that the library shall be managed and controlled by a Board of sixteen trustees, to be constituted as follows: The Mayor of the City shall be ex-officio, and 10 others shall be appointed by the government (split between the City and the County) with 5 appointed by the Library Company.
NEW APPLICANTS - RPL Board Questions
- What is the purpose of the Library Board (RPL)?
- Why are you interested in serving on the Library Board?
- The Board currently meets on the 3rd Monday of each month at 4 pm. Will you be able to regularly attend those meetings?
- RPL members also participate on various Board created committees and attend Library fundraisers and other events. Will your schedule permit you to participate regularly?
- Do you use the Library and are you a member?
- Can you describe some programs offered by the Library?
- Do you believe that there should be a Library Tax that would provide a steady stream of funding for the library?
REAPPOINTMENTS - RPL Board Questions
- Are you able to regularly attend meetings?
- What committees do you serve on?
- What has RPL done well and what could be improved upon?
- Are there any issues that the City could assist with?
- What fundraising activities has the RPL used? Do you believe they were successful?
- What additional programs should be offered by the Library?