JOB VACANCY # JV 2022-08 Managing Director
POSITION: Managing Director
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Office of the Managing Director
POSTING DATE: February 9, 2022
The Managing Director serves as the chief administrative officer of the City and is accountable to the Mayor for the administration of all City affairs placed in the Managing Director’s charge by the Home Rule Charter of the City. Supervises and supports the Director of Finance, the Director of Human Resources, the Chiefs of Police and Fire, the Law Department, the Director of Public Works, and the Executive Director of the Human Relations Commission. Participates in collaborations with the Office of the Mayor to improve quality and efficiency in delivering municipal services and to implement key strategic initiatives. Serves as an ambassador of the Mayor and City in the community.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Execute and enforce the relevant provisions of the Home Rule Charter.
- Appoint, suspend or remove any City employee, with exceptions specified in Home Rule Charter.
- Ensure compliance with provisions of the Administrative Code of the City.
- Prepare an annual and five-year operating budget in accordance with the Home Rule Charter.
- Supervise and direct the negotiation and administration of any new collective bargaining agreements with City employees.
- Submit to the Mayor a complete annual report of finances and administrative activities of the City.
- Assure that the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania relating to the affairs and government of the City are faithfully executed and enforced.
- Serve as Deputy Mayor and act on the Mayor’s behalf in the event of the Mayor’s temporary absence for the City or temporary disability.
- Ensure that a competent Emergency Response Plan is in place to ensure the continuation or resumption of critical municipal services in the aftermath of disaster or calamity.
- Serve as a confidential advisor to the Mayor; serves as a champion for the people of Reading, and for superior service and value for citizens.
- Attend, participate in meetings of City Council, various Boards & Authorities, at Mayor’s direction.
- Relates and collaborates frequently with Mayor’s Office, City department leaders and divisions.
- Works collaboratively with the Community Development Department to secure funding for various City programs, operations and capital improvements.
- Collaborates with members of City Council in furtherance of the Mayor’s strategic initiatives.
- Represents the City and the Mayor with other municipalities, political subdivisions & county, state and national elected officials.
Educational / Experience Requirements
- Master’s degree in public administration, business administration, management, or related field and 3 years’ experience at executive or administrative level; or, a Bachelor’s degree in public administration or equivalent, and 5 years’ experience at executive or administrative level.
- Superior command of the English language and strong public speaking skills.
- Must meet the minimum work experience requirements specified in the City Charter.
- Experience leading interdisciplinary teams as a champion for performance improvement.
- Demonstrated experience in distilling various sources of information and recommend changes in work processes and forging consensus among stakeholders to adopt them.
- Ability to execute operational strategies while accountable for budgetary performance.