JOB VACANCY # JV 2023-22 ZONING INSPECTOR
THE POSITION OF: Zoning Inspector
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Community Dev/Zoning
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
CLASSIFICATION: AFSCME Rank & File
SCHEDULE: Full Time
SALARY: Starting $30.41 Hour
POSTING DATE: March 28, 2023
A Zoning Inspector is responsible for investigating complaints and issuing notices of violations when required. Field inspection duties are conducted independently in accordance with zoning regulations. Work is performed independently or in collaboration with other staff, under the direction of the Zoning Administrator and/or Division Manager.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Reviews, assesses and processes zoning permit applications, approve or reject applications, and issue detailed review letters.
- Accurately communicates zoning requirements and procedures in writing, phone, and in person.
- Performs inspections of residential, commercial and industrial properties, as required, to ensure conformance with the City of Reading’s Zoning Ordinance and completes inspection reports.
- Investigates complaints regarding zoning issues that may include violations, determines their validity and initiates appropriate follow up activities.
- Issues Stop Work Orders associated with work, use or occupancy of any building, structure, sign, land or premise that is contrary to the zoning regulations.
- Issue Enforcement notices on the location or action that has incurred the violation.
- Initiate Civil Action proceedings for zoning violations and appear in court to testify.
- Assist the Historic Preservation Specialist and Urban Planner with investigations as needed.
- Prepares case research and reports, posts required notices at properties, and provides mailed notices to neighboring property owners, newspapers of record, and others as required.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports on all zoning activities.
- Participates in One-Stop-Shop meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in geography, urban planning, and/or closely related experience
- Must be able to successfully complete the PA Association of Zoning Official’s Certified Zoning Officer Program within 1 (one) year of hire
- Minimum 1 (one) year of relevant experience in municipal zoning, planning and land development required
- Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License