JOB VACANCY # JV 2023-18 (Public Works Director)
THE POSITION OF: Public Works Director
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Public Works
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
SCHEDULE: Full Time
POSTING DATE: March 20, 2023
Under the direction of the Managing Director, provides senior leadership, policy direction, and strategic focus for the Department of Public Works including all engineering, traffic engineering, transportation, fleet maintenance, facilities maintenance, parks, streets, wastewater treatment plant, sanitary and storm water collection, and solid waste services.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Leads the development of the department’s strategic plan and five-year capital improvement plan.
- Ensures compliance with professional standards and overall engineering integrity of all facilities, equipment and rolling stock.
- Directs the continuous cost evaluation process and initiates cost saving and quality improvement initiatives.
- Directs the implementation of safety programs and practices to assure compliance with City, State and Federal guidelines.
- Functions as a member of the senior leadership team, serving as a resource and partner to the Managing Director and other department directors in studying major issues and trends in identifying special concerns or needs and making recommendations for solutions.
- Takes leadership role in public meetings related to Public Works issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business management, engineering or other related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Professional engineering license required.
- Possesses valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License
- Must have five (5) plus years of experience in the field of Public Works Administration, preferably with exposure to utilities operations and a unionized workforce.
- At least five (5) years of experience managing multiple departments.
- Has the skill to be a coalition builder and collaborator with a track record of establishing strong partnerships internally and externally.
- Possesses the knowledge of municipal finance, budgeting and capital improvement planning.
- Must possess proven communication skills and a participative inclusive management style. .