JOB VACANCY # JV 2023-09 TRAFFIC ENGINEER
THE POSITION OF: Traffic Engineer
DEPARTMENT OF: Public Works
IN THE DIVISION OF: Sanitary Sewers
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
SCHEDULE: Full Time
POSTING DATE: March 28, 2023
The Traffic Engineer for the City of Reading is responsible for managing the Traffic Engineering Program including the management of the City’s Traffic Engineering office.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Will develop and manage the City’s Traffic Engineering Program to ensure the proper operation and maintenance of all City owned traffic facilities, traffic management plans, related improvement projects and electronic traffic databases.
- Coordinates with the City Engineer and PW Director, and as prescribed in the City’s Ordinance. “Traffic” includes vehicular, pedestrian and bicycle transportation.
- Will develop and manage the Traffic Engineering office staff.
- Oversees the management of all city traffic construction and repair projects, including annual improvement projects for street paving, traffic signal O&M, and new facilities construction and other related tasks.
- Assigns tasks to the office staff and manages their progress and performance.
- Determines the need for assistance from outside consulting firms to meet the Program goals. Hires and manages outside consultants.
- Coordinates with PennDOT to ensure cooperative relations on PennDOT construction projects in the City. Provides City oversight and assistance as needed.
- Coordinates with all five City municipal authorities, as well as institutional and private entities to ensure their traffic concerns are properly incorporated into the City’s Traffic Program.
- Prepares and oversees the annual and long range traffic engineering budgets.
- Graduation from a four (4) year college or university with major course work in civil, environmental, or closely related engineering discipline is required.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) in the Commonwealth of Pa.
- Five (5) years Network Engineering background
- Five (5) years cyber security background
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in civil or environmental engineering