JOB VACANCY # JV 2022-38 CD Deputy Director
POSITION: CD Deputy Director
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Community Development
POSTING DATE: June 6, 2022
The Community Development Deputy Director will oversee Housing Urban Development (HUD) programs. The CD Deputy Director is responsible for coordinating all programs related Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) developing, implementing and executing the grants offered for multiple programs to assist revitalizing the City of Reading’s real estate, including developing blight strategies, directing, identifying, remediating and reutilizing of abandoned and blighted vacant properties, maximizing revenue potential of City-owned, or encumbered, real estate; managing City’s housing loan portfolio; overseeing the administration of federal, state and local grant programs funding housing or real-estate related activities.
Essential responsibilities in coordination with municipal departments and city-related agencies (Reading Redevelopment Authority, Housing Authority, Blighted Property Review Committee) include the following:
- Leadership role coordinating City agencies in implementing policies with Planning, Zoning, Building & Trades, Property Maintenance, Community Development grant administration;
- Primary point of contact for agencies and entities involved in all government housing strategy;
- Coordinate application of Federal grant programs to housing-related issues, including affordable housing, slum and blight remediation, rehabilitation, acquisition and demolition;
- Identify, procure grant opportunities; partner with private sources to support housing strategy;
- Develop, prepare performance measures, reports to evaluate housing strategy success;
- Participate in drafting the City’s Comprehensive Plan, Consolidate Plan and Annual Action Plan.
Managing blighted property identification, remediation, acquisition, disposition process and vacant, abandoned or under-utilized City-owned properties includes the following:
- Organize, update inventory of vacant and blighted properties threatened with abandonment;
- Improve existing systems for digitizing, tracking of blighted properties info, remediation efforts; s;
- Develop strategic plans for property acquisition and disposition, maximizing potential for neighborhood revitalization and leveraging private investment;
- Select properties for acquisition; determine how properties will be marketed for development;
- Make recommendations to the Community Development Director regarding new tools and techniques for managing vacant, blighted and underutilized Reading properties.
- Oversee City-funded demolitions; filing, collection of liens and application of Fire Escrow funds;
- Design and implement program for soliciting, processing applications from parties seeking to obtain properties in City inventory;
- Work with developers to facilitate project progress through entitlement process;
Manage the City of Reading’s housing loan portfolio includes the following:
- Work with CD Fiscal Officer, track housing loan balances, compliance with loan terms;
- Recommendations to CD Director, Administration, City Council regarding housing transactions.
Educational Requirements & Experience
- Bachelor’s in Architecture, Construction Management, Engineering, Real Estate/Urban Planning
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the essential responsibilities and duties of this position.
- Demonstrated experience in working with non-profit housing agencies is required.
Demonstrated experience in construction methods, renovating, demolition, management of significant public projects; negotiating complex transactions with ability to close large deals