JOB VACANCY # JV 2022-31 Sweep Officer
THE POSITION OF: Sweep Officer
CLASSIFICATION: AFSCME – Rank & File
POSTING DATE: April 8, 2022
SALARY: $20.19 per hour – 40 hours/week
Working with the Enforcement assignment patrol, in an assigned geographical area, this position enforces the City’s sanitation laws and regulations, while exercising good judgment in the issuance of written and electronic warnings and violations. Educates the public and community groups on sanitation laws and regulations.
Neighborhood Development Assignment:
- May receive requests from residents or civic groups for city services (examples include no parking signs, boarding-up of abandoned housed and other services not directly related to the clean block program).
- Excellent public relations skills; maintain records; prepare variety of reports.
- Patrols an assigned geographical area on foot or bicycle to enforce sanitation laws and regulations; sight checks trash and recyclables of homeowners and businesses for proper method of disposal.
- Advises homeowners and businesses of improperly placed waste and recyclables, unclean sidewalks; may require rummaging through materials locating names and address of violators.
- Prepares and issues written or electronic warnings and/or notices of violations to offenders.
- Answers questions from the public about the sanitation laws and regulations designed to improve public cleanliness.
- Compile daily, weekly and monthly reports indicating quantity of sweeps performed and other important information.
- Act as public relations representatives for City when making sweeps.
- High School degree or GED equivalent.
- Two years of clerical or field experience, with prior experience in public information communications. Extensive experience and knowledge in animal control education and enforcement programs, ordinances and state laws; or any combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Minimum two (2) years experience performing manual work in general laboring activities in the Streets Department sanitation operation.
- Must possess a valid PA driver’s license Class C with clean driving record.