JOB VACANCY # JV 2022-27 Garage Maintenance Mechanic
THE POSITION OF: Garage Maintenance Mechanic
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Public Works/Operations-Garage
CLASSIFICATION: AFSCME 2763-Rank & File
POSTING DATE: March 31, 2022
STARTING PAY RATE: $24.27 per hour, 40 hours per week
Qualified, interested candidates must submit an employment application and a current resume at www.readingpa.gov under employment opportunities.
This role is responsible for repair, inspection and maintenance of vehicles, machinery and equipment.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Repair, service and maintain automotive and truck equipment.
- Required to make major engine repairs to diesel and gasoline engines.
- Removal or light repair of auto and manual transmissions, clutches and differentials.
- Must be able to replace most brake systems and adjust, etc.
- Test equipment and vehicles for problems and safety hazards in compliance to code standards.
- Conduct state motor vehicle inspections and emissions testing on vehicles and equipment.
- May be required to perform inspections and repairs of trailers and other equipment.
- High School or GED required
- Vocational and/or mechanical school training
- Valid PA driver’s license Class B required
- Requires a valid PA State Inspection License Class 7 and a PA safety and state emission license
- Minimum two years of maintenance mechanic experience
- Must be able to work independently
- Familiarity with computers is preferred
- Welding experience preferred