JOB VACANCY # JV 2022-15 Public Outreach/Education Coordinator (Part-Time)
THE POSITION OF: Public Outreach/Education Coordinator
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Public Works/Operations-Solid Waste
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time, 28 hrs/wk (includes nights, weekends)
POSTING DATE: February 22, 2022
The Public Outreach & Education Coordinator promotes the understanding and value of specific environmental health and sustainability programs such as waste reduction and diversion, MS4, energy efficiency and transition, and ecological restoration, using peer-reviewed, evidence based best management principles. This position assists the Solid Waste Department with development, implementation, promotion, evaluation, and presentation of zero waste, ecological health, energy efficiency and transition, and one water management programs.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Makes education presentations to classrooms, businesses, community groups, and city staff
- Assists with directing, planning, and coordination of special events such as fairs, festivals, conferences, ceremonies etc.
- Designs brochures, advertisements, posters, informational stickers and flyers, digital and analog materials.
- Coordinates or supports field trips and school assembly programs.
- Creates communication pieces such as billing inserts, newsletter content, mailers, and digital media.
- Assists the Clean City Program Coordinator, MS4 Coordinator, Sustainability Manager, and Solid Waste Manager with outreach and educational events, as assigned.
- Must acquire criminal history clearance Act 31/Act 34 and child abuse clearance Act 151.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma and experience in communications, marketing, community relations, education, environmental management, journalism, or any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid PA Driver’s license required
- An understanding of Commonwealth and Federal laws, regulations, and policies regarding waste management
- Familiarity with Sustainability principles, zero waste, and one water management principles, policies, and best practices
- Knowledge of the principles of marketing, advertising, and promotion.
- An understanding of education plans.
Essential Experience & Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, plus prior public speaking experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Ability to interact in a positive and effective manner; establish and maintain satisfactory work relationships with supervisors, coworkers, other departments, boards, commissions and general public
- Use and operation of standard office equipment, AV equipment and digital media
- Ability to keep accurate, detailed records.