JOB VACANCY # JV 2022-09 Public Works Director
THE POSITION OF: Public Works Director
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Public Works
POSTING DATE: February 10, 2022
Under the direction of the Managing Director, provides senior leadership, policy direction, and strategic focus for the Department of Public Works including all engineering, traffic engineering, transportation, fleet maintenance, facilities maintenance, parks, streets, wastewater treatment plant, sanitary and storm water collection, and solid waste services.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Leads the development of the department’s strategic plan and five-year capital improvement plan.
- Assures compliance with professional standards and overall engineering integrity of all facilities, equipment and rolling stock.
- Directs the continuous cost evaluation process and initiates cost saving and quality improvement initiatives.
- Provides consultation and advice to the Planning Commission, City Council and Administration.
- Functions as a member of the senior leadership team, serving as a resource and partner to the Managing Director and other department directors in studying major issues and trends in identifying special concerns or needs; makes recommendations for solutions.
- Takes leadership role in public meetings related to Public Works issues.
- This position currently requires a professional engineer license however may be subject to change pending results of a referendum question in the May primary. Candidates without a professional engineer license are encouraged to apply but cannot be selected until requirement is eliminated. Applications will be accepted through May 31, 2022.
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business management, engineering or other related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Possesses valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License
- Must have five (5) plus years of experience in the field of Public Works Administration, preferably with exposure to utilities operations and a unionized workforce.
- Demonstrated history of progressive and inclusive human resource practices.