Select a Language

Frequently Asked Questions

General Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to find the answer you are looking for.



What activities can my family and I do in Reading?

There are so many things to see and do in Reading and the surrounding area. We take great pride in the quality of life in the area that includes the arts, sports, shopping, and skiing. Please visit the Reading Berks County Visitors Bureau’s website: You may also request a Visitor’s Packet.


How do I obtain a marriage license?

A marriage license can be obtained through the Marriage License Bureau is a division of the Berks County Register of Wills Office. Located on the second floor of the Berks County Services Center, 633 Court Street, Reading, the office is open Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Application for a marriage license must be made personally, with both parties appearing together. No appointment is necessary.
In addition, marriage applications can be made at your local District Justice Office and at Reading District Court (First Floor, Courthouse) by appointment only.
You may also visit Berks County’s website, click on Register of Wills and you will find all the answers you need.

What are the senior programs in Reading?

The Berks County Office of Aging has the legal mandate to provide a wide array of services for seniors including: information and referral, advocacy, planning, senior centers, meals on wheels, assessment, care management and in home services. Any concerns regarding aging issues can be directed to the Berks County Office of Aging at 610-478-6500.
The vast majority of senior programming is administered through Berks County. The Senior Citizens Council is located at 40 North Ninth Street and the phone number is 610-374-3195. Informing, educating, advocating for those who have invested so much in their community. Their mission is to provide services, programs and referrals that engage, inform, educate and advocate for older Berks Countians.

What’s the history of Reading?

What information do you have about Abandoned Vehicles?

Inoperable vehicles are “abandoned” according to state law, and are therefore subject to towing. (Section 7301 7312 of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code)
  • Vehicle code defines “abandoned vehicles” as any of the following: 
  • Vehicle is physically inoperable and has remained on a public street, highway or alleyway for more than 48 hours.
  • Vehicle does not have all of the following: current registration plates, valid inspection (and emissions if applicable) stickers, ascertainable vehicle identification number and is left on a public street, highway or alleyway for more than 48 hours.
  • Vehicle has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in control of the property for more than 48 hours.


Abandoned Vehicle on Public Property (Highway, street or alleyway); Police Action*

  • Police place "red" courtesy sticker giving vehicle owner seven days to move the vehicle. Vehicle is put on the tow list.
  • Certified letter is sent from the Reading Police Traffic Enforcement Office to the registered owner of the vehicle confirming that the owner has seven days to move the vehicle.
  • After seven days, vehicle will be towed by a state salvor. 
  • Owner may claim the vehicle from the salvor by paying the towing fee, the cost for vehicle storage and a state imposed fee of $50. In addition, the owner will be issued a citation for violation of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code, Section 3712. This violation is $500 plus court costs.
  • If the vehicle is moved to another location within the city and is still in violation, it will be towed immediately.


Private Property: Not Posted with Tow Away Notice

  • If vehicle is parked on private property without the owners permission; the following applies:
  • Property owner signs release for police to enforce law 
  • Police place red sticker on vehicle giving owner 7 days to remove
Letter is sent to owner advising of violation
  • After seven days, state salvor tows vehicle; owner is charged for towing, storage, $50 state fee and $500 citation violation.


Private Property: Posted with Tow Away Notice

Unauthorized parked cars may be ticketed and towed immediately upon notification of the police by the property owner, if so posted.


Storage of Vehicles on Public Property - Streets, Highways, Alleyways

  • It is illegal for any vehicle to be parked on the street in one spot for 72 hours. (Parking space is limited in the city and this is to discourage people from storing vehicles on public property. (City Ordinance 15-408)
  • Police may issue red sticker and certified letter giving owner seven days to remove vehicle. 
  • After seven days, state salvor tows vehicle; owner is charged for towing, storage, $50 state fee and $500 citation violation.


Motor Vehicle Nuisance: Codes Department Action

  • Any vehicle is considered a nuisance if it represents a safety hazard (broken windows, no wheels, ripped metal, doors missing, etc) and is parked on public or private property, with or without permission of property owner. 
  • Codes department may place a "green" courtesy sticker on vehicle giving vehicle owner 30 days to remove. 
  • After 30 days, state salvor tows vehicle; owner is charged for towing, storage, $50 state fee and $500 citation violation.
  • Police Department Contacts: 610-655-6407 Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 3:30 pm
  • Codes Department Contacts: 610-655-6214 or 610-655- 6215 Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm


What can I do for snow and ice complaints?

When a person has a snow/ice complaint, they have to contact the Desk Sergeant in City Hall first. After an officer is dispatched and a notice is given to the property owner. If no action is taken the complaint is then given to the Codes office.

What is the Street Sweeping schedule?

You can view the Street Sweeping schedule on the signs posted on your block if you are on a permanent route. If you do not live on a permanent route, your street will get posted with a cardboard sign at least 12 hours before the sweeper comes through. We do 1 side at a time and if you don’t move your car it will get a ticket for $45.00. We try to get these streets at least 2 times a year. Any questions please call (610) 655-6285.


What information do you have on Yard Waste/Leaf Collection?

  • Yard Waste Collection. and Leaf Collection.
  1. The City collects loose leaves(not in containers) in the fall from last week in October through the 1 first week of December. Place leaf piles at the curbside during this period. After this period all leaves are to be in BIODEGRADABLE paper leaf bags(available in most stores). NO PLASTIC BAGS.
  2. City crews collect loose leaves along a preplanned route. Unfavorable weather conditions or unexpected equipment failures may affect the collection schedule.
  3. City crews will only pick up containerized or bagged leaves by appointment. Please call the Department of Public works at (610) 655-6285.
  • Tree Trimmings
  1. The city will pick up tree trimmings at the curbside by appointment only. The maximum pile for collection is 3’ in diameter and 4” long. Our service is intended to collect material generated from minor tree pruning and maintenance. IF YOU ARE REMOVING A TREE, OR PERFORMING MAJOR RELANDSCAPING, PLEASE MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH A CONTRACTOR TO REMOVE THE MATERIAL FOR YOU.

  2. Holiday trees may be taken to our drop off site in City Park or Schlegel Park between December 24th. And February 28th.

  • Will not pick up the following material
  1. Brush and/or branches were not properly separated and/or piled with stub (cut) ends facing the road. 
  2. Branches are larger than 3’ diameter or exceed a length of 4”.
  3. NO grass clippings, sod, stones, human made materials, lumber, stumps or root balls.
  4. No plastic bags
If you have any questions regarding our yard waste collection program, please call us at (610) 655 6285. 
If you have questions on grass recycling you may find information on our grasscycling page or call our recycling office at (610)655-6320.