Employment Opportunities with the City of Reading
To apply for employment with the City of Reading, download and complete an Employment Application (Fillable) specifying the type of employment/position you are applying for, attach resume' if applicable and send to:
City of Reading
815 Washington Street – Room 3-03
Reading, PA 19601
An EEO/AA Employer by choice.
Male/female/disability all given equal consideration
“The City of Reading, PA is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to compliance with all Federal, State, and Local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identities or expressions, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status and other protected classifications. This policy applies to all employment decisions including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, pay practices, benefits, disciplinary actions and terminations."
Public Works Director
- Leads the development of the department’s strategic plan and five-year capital improvement plan.
- Assures compliance with professional standards and overall engineering integrity of all facilities, equipment and rolling stock.
- Directs the continuous cost evaluation process and initiates cost saving and quality improvement initiatives.
- Provides consultation and advice to the Planning Commission, City Council and Administration.
Development and Inspection Clerk
The clerk ensures the smooth and seamless process of scheduling, compiling appropriate Housing and Health related documents and billing related fees. Development and Inspection Clerks have direct contact with both external and internal customers; therefore, the clerk will have excellent communication and customer service skills. Also, the clerk must be able to readily adapt to, accept and implement changing codes and ordinances.
Maintenance Worker II (Electrical/Mechanical)
- Perform all necessary maintenance tasks to maintain compliance with all Clean Water Act/Clean Stream Law requirements, NPDES Permit parameters, and all other applicable regulatory requirements, industry standards and manufacturers recommendations
- Assist Operations and other teams with any and all corrective tasks that arise
- Communicate any disruptions of treatment units due to maintenance tasks to the Operations staff or others as appropriate
- Managing office administrative tasks, including timekeeping/payroll submissions and invoice processing.
- Assisting with the processing and execution of contracts.
- Managing attorney calendars and scheduling.
- Managing the flow of law office visitors.
Part-Time Downtown Ambassador
The part-time Downtown Ambassador assists in creating a clean, safe and welcoming environment to all who frequent Downtown, including tourists, business people, residents, organizations, and vulnerable street population.
Property Maintenance Inspector
This position will be responsible for inspecting single and multi-family dwellings within the City to ensure compliance to City-Housing Codes. This position will entail frequent contact with other employees in the Division; as well as daily contact with housing dwellers. There is limited contact with City employees outside the Division.
Human Resource Director
The Human Resource Director is responsible for overseeing daily operations within the Human Resources Division, including administering policies and procedures, programs and practices, planning, organizing, training and development, departmental development, employee relations, benefits and compensation.
- Evaluating, creating and maintaining a strong file management and record keeping systems;
- Tracks, maintains prospective client inquiry list; arrange temporary relocation of clients;
- Builds and maintains consistent relationships with program clients;
- Formats and composes well designed correspondence, memorandums, reports, contracts, charts and similar program materials;
Garage Maintenance Mechanic
- Repair, service and maintain automotive and truck equipment.
- Required to make major engine repairs to diesel and gasoline engines.
- Removal or light repair of auto and manual transmissions, clutches and differentials.
- Participates in the development and interpretation of City departmental policies
- Reviews and drafts contracts and other agreements
- Provide counsel and advice on legal matters and the important aspects of government relationships
- Participates in, or conducts litigation, including preparing for and attending hearings, depositions and arbitrations
Part-Time Zoning Clerk
- Greets visitors and distributes information on specific properties by answering calls, emails and walk-in requests
- Scans documents, enters information into database systems, and provides other required clerical and administrative support to Zoning, Planning and Historic Preservation
- Receives and processes fees; maintains financial records pertaining to land use and zoning applications, and assists with payment of invoices
Part-Time Records Technician
- Perform a variety of clerical, administrative, and general office duties and functions;
- Provide customer service in person and by telephone;
- Have strong customer service skills;
- Maintain and handle highly confidential and sensitive information and process personnel action;
- Creates and maintain City personnel records and files;
Part-Time Relief Video Monitor
- Maintains constant surveillance of the City cameras within the Video Safety Unit
- Alerts police to suspicious activity and crimes in progress.
- Operates all surveillance camera equipment, including but not limited to Video Monitors, Computers, Digital Recorders, Cameras and Controllers.
Part Time Grounds Maintenance
The candidate for this position must be able to work independently or on a crew in an outdoor setting, completing tasks consistent with grounds maintenance. This includes working in all elements of weather throughout the year.
The City of Reading is seeking an energetic individual who will assume the challenging opportunity to address the planning needs of an urban city. This is a hands on position to help manage the planning activities of the City. This individual will be provide the zoning and planning decisions after reviewing submitted plans. Administers staff of professionals, including meeting with Developers and Investors through the One Stop Shop permit services that include Planning, Zoning and Codes.
Under the direction of the Accounting and Treasury Manager, the individual in this Project Accountant position is responsible for all aspects of project accounting, financial analysis, financial accounts management, grant administration and related tasks associated with the Utilities Division with a focus on the Department of Justice Consent Decree (DOJ CD) projects and programs. Includes but not limited to various financial aspects associated with wastewater treatment plant, pump stations, collection system construction projects and related programs implementation.
If you are interested in becoming a City of Reading Firefighter/EMT, Firefighter/Paramedic or Police Officer please click their respective link for information on applications.
Information on upcoming Civil Service testing dates for the Police Department are located here and for the Fire Department here.