Select a Language

Boards &

The Fair Housing Act Filing A Complant

What Happens When You File A Complaint?

HUD will notify you when it receives your complaint. Normally, HUD also will:

  • Notify the alleged violator of your complaint and permit that person to submit an answer
  • Investigate your complaint and determine whether there is reasonable cause to believe the Fair Housing Act has been violated
  • Notify you if it cannot complete an investigation within 100 days of receiving your complaint


HUD will try to reach an agreement with the person your complaint is against (the respondent). A conciliation agreement must protect both you and the public interest. If an agreement is signed, HUD will take no further action on your complaint. However, if HUD has reasonable cause to believe that a conciliation agreement is breached, HUD will recommend that the Attorney General file suit.

Complaint Referrals

If HUD has determined that your State or local agency has the same fair housing powers as HUD, HUD will refer your complaint to that agency for investigation and notify you of the referral. That agency must begin work on your complaint within 30 days or HUD may take it back.

There are several ways to file a complaint:

  • You can file a complaint right now, by using an online form
  • You can call toll-free 1-800-669-9777.
  • You can print out a form, complete it, and drop it off at your local HUD office or mail it to:
    • Human Relations Commission 
      Room 1-39
      Reading, PA 19601
  • You can write us a letter with:
    • Your name and address
    • The name and address of the person your complaint is about
    • The address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent or buy
    • The date when this incident occurred
    • A short description of what happened
    • Then mail it to the Fair Housing Hub closest to you.