JOB VACANCY # JV 2023-33 EMERGENCY VEHICLE TECHNICIAN (EVT)
THE POSITION OF: Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT)
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION OF: Fire/Fire & Rescue
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: IAFF Local 1802
SALARY RANGE: $70,000 - $74,860 POSTING DATE: MAY 8, 2023
The Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) provides skilled and thorough work maintaining emergency vehicles, maintenance records, and maintenance schedules for the City of Reading Fire Department.
Typical job duties may include but not limited to:
- Determines preventative maintenance needs, provides necessary maintenance and repairs for all motor fire apparatus and related diesel equipment;
- Performs annual State Inspections on Fire Department apparatus;
- Repairs and adjusts engines, transmissions, brake systems, hydraulic systems, water pumps, and accessories applicable to tools, facilities, and equipment provided;
- Performs general maintenance of all fire equipment.
- Ensures fire apparatus conforms to commercial Department of Transportation and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards
- Responds to multiple alarm fires or other large-scale emergency events to oversee apparatus operations, including evaluation and repair of apparatus and equipment as needed, if on duty or requested by Chief Officer
- Provides input to staff regarding budget, equipment utilization, equipment replacement and equipment needs
- Assists with the development of specifications for new fire apparatus and equipment
- Comfortability or ability to learn asset management software and computer applications pertinent to asset management
- Perform any other related duties as required
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Valid Class B CDL license (at all times of employment)
- Valid Pennsylvania Code 7 (both Codes 1 & 3) vehicle safety inspection certification
- Level 1 Fire Apparatus EVT Certification per NFPA 1071, Standard for EVT Professional Qualifications;
- ASE Master Technician for commercial vehicles
- Ability to obtain certification to the EVT Master Level III certification within two years of hire.