JOB VACANCY # JV 2023-37 ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR/PLANS EXAMINER
THE POSITION OF: Electrical Inspector/Plans Examiner
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION OF: CD/Building & Trades
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
CLASSIFICATION: AFSCME 2763 – Rank & File
POSTING DATE: May 26, 2023
The Mechanical Inspector/Plans Examiner oversees every phase of construction from planning to finish to ensure compliance with the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code and City of Reading ordinances. The Mechanical Inspector/Plans Examiner has direct contact with both external and internal customers; therefore, the inspector must have excellent communication and customer service skills. Also, the inspector must be able to readily adapt to, interpret, explain, and implement changing codes and ordinances.
Typical duties may include but not limited to:
- Review and approve electrical permit submittal documents.
- Schedule and perform field inspections.
- Maintain and submit records of field reports, inspection results, and plan reviews.
- Assist developers, designers, and property owners with code-related problems.
- Support other City departments as necessary.
- Identify potential electrical system hazards and recommend abatement action.
- Draft and mail notices of violation, citations, demolitions, and abatement orders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum high school diploma/GED.
- Must possess current ICC or equivalent certification for Commercial Electrical Inspector.
- Must possess current ICC or equivalent certification for Electrical Plans Examiner.
- Must be willing to acquire Building Code Official (BCO) certification within 1 year of hire date.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of experience as an electrician or equivalent experience. Master Electrician status preferred.