Monday, November 8, 2021
The City Council Committee of the Whole meetings are filmed and can be viewed LIVE while the meeting is taking place via the attached Zoom link and dial-in phone number, on Facebook and on BCTV MAC Channel 99 or at your convenience at https://www.readingpa.gov/content/city-council-video.
Due to COVID-19, the public is prohibited from physically attending the meeting. In person attendance to view the meeting is permitted in the Penn Room in City Hall – use the 8th Street doors. To attend the meeting via our virtual app, please log-in using the link or the dial-in phone number below.
Join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device:
Please click this URL to join. https://readingpa.zoom.us/j/87825382653?pwd=R1R6UmlYTS9ESFR1cXJET3BYOFpXUT09
Or One tap mobile:
+13017158592,,87825382653#,,,,*949169# US (Washington DC)
+13126266799,,87825382653#,,,,*949169# US (Chicago)
Or join by phone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 720 707 2699
Webinar ID: 878 2538 2653
I. Budget Review – Library and Human Relations Commission 20 mins
II. CDBG Budget – adoption this evening 20 mins
III. Council Solicitor 5 mins
IV. Parking Authority – N. Matz 20 mins
- Issuance of parking tickets re on the vehicle vs mail
- Issuance of parking tickets after the street sweeper passes
V. Agenda Review
VI. Executive Session - litigation
Council Solicitor Services included with Annual Salary
1. Provide legal services or assistance at the following City Council meetings/hearings
a. Regular Meetings
b. Special Meetings
c. Legislative public hearings
2. Provide legal services or assistance when requested at Committee meetings
3. Provide legal services when requested at Executive Sessions.
4. Conduct legal research and prepare legal opinions on all matters of law as requested by members of Council or the City Clerk from time to time.
- The Council Solicitor shall forward a copy of all written opinions (hard copy and email) to the City Solicitor unless the opinion involves a matter of conflict with the Administration or is an otherwise confidential and/or privileged matter.
- A copy of written legal opinions requested by a member of Council shall be forwarded to the President of Council, each of the members of City Council and the City Clerk, unless a member of Council requests confidentiality as to the opinion, at which time the communication will be subject to attorney/client privilege.
5. When requested by Council, the Council Solicitor shall review resolutions, leases, contracts, agreements and other documents upon which Council action will be required and shall consult and discuss with the City Solicitor all issues related thereto.
6. The Council Solicitor shall prepare ordinances as directed by the President of Council or a majority of Council members and review proposed ordinances prepared by the City Clerk or Administration and provide input or clarifications as required.
7. Give advice on legal matters (including citizens’ legal inquiries) to members of City Council or City Clerk, when requested or as necessary.
Administration matters / City Solicitor
1. Consult with City Solicitor on City legal matters when either (i) requested by City Solicitor with approval of President of Council, or (ii) requested by the President of Council or a majority of Council members.
2. The Council Solicitor shall be available to Administration and/or the office of the City Solicitor for the following purposes:
(a) Consultation concerning pending or threatened litigation involving the City or ordinances or resolutions of the City that may be subject to challenge;
(b) Consultation concerning the drafting of proposed City ordinances;
(c) Consultation regarding any other matters relating to City business at the request of the City Solicitor as directed by the President of Council or a majority of Council members;
(d) To represent the City or other City departments where the City Solicitor and/or Assistant City Solicitors have a conflict of interest (excluding litigation matters), subject to the approval of the President of Council and unless independent legal counsel is otherwise obtained under the Charter.
(e) Consultation concerning miscellaneous legal issues related to matters that may require future Council action.
3. The Council Solicitor shall be available to the City Clerk for the purpose of consultation and advice on issues related to the duties of the Clerk and Council business.
4. Provide primary legal advice and assistance to Council on matters where a conflict or dispute with the Administration exists or is likely to occur.
Additional Services covered by an hourly rate
1. Provide legal services where City Council, as a body, is exercising adjudicative or quasi-judicial functions including, but not limited to, conditional use hearings, HARB appeal heal hearings, tax exoneration hearings, liquor license hearings and personnel hearings.
2. Provide legal services for Charter complaint representation or mediation
3. Provide legal services for litigation beyond “consultation” services provided above
4. Provide legal services for bond issues or other financing transactions including, but not limited to, the issuance of opinion letters
5. Provide legal services for special projects with the approval of a majority of City Council