138 S 8th Street Increase the number of units from 3 to 6
Monday, June 5, 2022
Council Chambers & Hybrid
City Council meetings, hearing and other sessions are filmed and can be viewed LIVE while the meeting is taking place via the attached Zoom link and dial-in phone number, on Facebook and on BCTV MAC Channel 99 or at your convenience at https://www.readingpa.gov/content/city-council-video. Comments posted in Zoom Chat and on Facebook are not considered public comment and a response may not occur.
Public Comment Instructions: Citizens desiring to address the Council at its public hearing may do so by providing notice, verbally or in writing, by providing their name, address and the subject matter to be discussed to the City Clerk any time before 5:00 p.m. on the day of the scheduled hearing. Any person who fails to sign in with the City Clerk shall not be permitted to speak until all those who signed in have done so. Those testifying must limit their comments to three minutes. Citizens may also choose to submit written public comment via letter or email by sending a letter or email clearly marked “public comment” by 4:00 p.m. on the day of the meeting.
All remarks must be directed to Council as a body and not to any individual Council member or public or elected official in attendance. Any comment that is personally offensive or impertinent will not be read into the record.
Join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device:
Please click this URL to join. https://readingpa.zoom.us/j/86702510833?pwd=RkVXMitlMEVpRHJHZzZQcHZZeDgyUT09
Or join by phone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 931 3860
Webinar ID: 867 0251 0833
I. Call to Order & Purpose
The purpose of this hearing is obtain testimony on the Conditional Use Application for 138 S 8th to add three (3) units to the existing three (3) unit rental property, approved via Zoning Permit 2000-351.
A. No conditional or special exception use shall be approved if it:
(1) Substantially increases traffic congestion along a street or creates a traffic safety hazard.
(2) Creates an undue concentration of population.
(3) Impairs an adequate supply of light and air to adjacent property.
(4) Creates a significant threat to the public health or safety.
(5) Is detrimental to the appropriate use of adjacent property through the generation of significant nuisances or hazards.
(6) Does not meet the requirements of this chapter.
D. Conversions. This section applies to an existing building where it is allowed by the zoning district regulations to be converted into new dwelling units. The conversion of an existing one-family detached dwelling, one-family attached dwelling or one-family semidetached dwelling into two or more dwelling units shall be prohibited, as per §§ 600-803 and 600-804. [Amended 2-14-2011 by Ord. No. 8-2011; 12-16-2013 by Ord. No. 83-2013]
(1) A site plan, drawn to the scale, showing the location and dimensions of all off-street parking, private entrances, walkways and landscaping, shall be submitted, as well as architectural plans showing the dimensions and square footage of all rooms and storage spaces and indicating the intended use of all rooms.
(2) The conversion shall have the minimum floor area as designated by the following schedule:
Efficiency or studio
Three or more bedroom
(3) For each dwelling unit, there shall be a minimum 1 1/2 off-street parking spaces per unit.
(4) Documents indicating to the City Codes staff's satisfaction that all plumbing, heating and electrical equipment and facilities are adequate and appropriate for the proposed use. The entire building shall also be made available for a code inspection.
(5) See also the requirements of Chapter 308, Housing, including but not limited to requirements for the designation of a local agent if the owner does not live locally.
II. Testimony from Applicant (No more than 10 minutes)
Owned by Raymundo Valvimir Taveras Martinez (with assistance from translator)
III. Testimony from Planning Staff (No more than 10 minutes)
IV. Public Comment (No More than 3 minutes per speaker)
V. Rebuttal from Applicant (no more than 5 minutes)
VI. Announcement of expected date of decision
City Council will render a decision by adopting a resolution at either the June 12th or 26th Regular Meeting of Council.
VII. Adjourn to Strategic Planning Meeting