Thank you for visiting our webpage. We are here to help.
- All Trades related testing – Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing – scheduled for April 6, 2020 is CANCELLED.
- All applications will be held for the next scheduled exam on July 6, 2020.
We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
Building and Trades Codes Enforcement
Location: Room 3-10
Our mission is to ensure safety of our constituents, existing building structures, and new construction projects according to the State of Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (UCC), the International Building Code (IBC), the International Residential Code (IRC), the International Existing Conservation Code (IECC), the International Existing Building Code (IEBC), the International Plumbing Code (IPC), the International Mechanical Code (IMC), and the National Electrical Code (NEC); To encourage and promote business growth and development through education and code compliance while conducting business with Code, Cooperation, Communication and Courtesy.
“The Building and Trades Division enhances public safety,” helps improve consumer education and strives to become a center of excellence in “code compliance” and safety in our region by providing fair and equitable service while advising constituents, architects, builders and contractors
Building & Trades Services
1. Provide new construction, alteration, renovation and repair permits for building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing trades.
2. Provide review of building plans submitted by contractors, builders and homeowners. Coordinate accessibility and elevator review with Labor & Industry State Department of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
3. Conduct trade board meetings; attend City of Reading apprentice program meetings and act as a proctor for all trade license examinations. Resolve contractor and citizen disputes through mediation and conflict resolution techniques.
4. Provide progress inspections for all construction activities in the City of Reading. Also provide occupancy and use permit inspections.
5. Conduct pre-construction and design review meeting to facilitate the development review and construction process. Manage and conduct one stop permit shop meetings.
6. Provide support to community development programs for neighborhood beautification projects. Also provide support to code enforcement officers for structural integrity and specific trade requirements.