- A groundbreaking ceremony was held on May 7, 2015 for the Goggleworks Artist Apartments. I have attached a flyer that was distributed at the event that has project details.
- Kutztown University Small Business Development Center is proud to announce the Grand Opening of Excellent Restaurant, located on 922 Penn Street on May 14, 2015 at 11 AM. A press release from the SBDC is attached.
- On May 2nd at 9:48 PM, units responded to 732 Locust for a fire that caused damage to 3 structures. The 2nd Alarm was struck for additional manpower about 15 minutes after their arrival. The fire was placed under control at 10:40 PM. There were no injuries at this incident.
- On the morning of Tuesday, May 6th, companies responded to 941 E. Laurel for a fire that already had gained a significant headway and was into the exposure buildings on both sides. The initial Incident commander struck the 2nd alarm at 7:33 just after his arrival, and the 3rd alarm was struck at 7:54, the fire was placed under control at 9:22. There was 1 civilian that was taken to the hospital and later released, 3 firefighters were injured, 1 was treated at the scene, another was a report only, and the 3rd went for treatment afterward and is still off. The Red Cross responded to provide refreshments for the firefighters and make arrangements for 20 – 24 occupants.
- Also, during the last 2 weeks there have been several brush fires on both mountains, one at which the companies were still operating at when the fire on Locust street came in.
- On Friday May 8th the Fire Marshal held a press conference to announce the expansion of the Department’s smoke detector program, in which sign up dates at the stations will be announced in the upcoming weeks.
- The department has begun water rescue training class for all firefighters and officers.
- I will be hosting a press conference tomorrow to announce our STAR Community Rating at noon in the Penn Room.
- The Penn Street Market opens on June 4, 2015 and will run for 17 consecutive weeks on Thursdays until September 24, 2015. Additional details are in attached press release.
- In conjunction with the Reading Recreation Commission and the Reading School District, the City of Reading will host the 7th Annual Youth Fun Day Event on May 28, 2015 from 9am – 2pm at Relevant Sports Complex.
- The Berks Community Health Center received $650,000 in funding from HHS to increase access to affordable quality health care in Reading.
- Comprehensive Plan Meetings
These public meetings will provide an overview of the comprehensive plan process and a summary of the materials prepared by the Steering Committee and Planning Consultants. Each meeting will then focus on the neighborhoods surrounding the meeting location and the input will be used to prepare updates to policies, strategies and implementation actions.
May 11 at 5:30 PM, Pendora Park Fieldhouse
May 12 at 5:30 PM, Albright College, Roessner Conference Center
- The Berks History Center Monument Preservation Fund is raising funds to restore the World War I monument in City Park. Questions or requests for information can be sent to BerksMonuments@gmail.com
- ReDesign Reading announced their one-year anniversary on Wednesday. The event recapped what has been accomplished by the cooperative efforts of the City’s major municipal authority and our community partners over the past year.
Reading School District Recycling Education Program
The Mayors Kids for a Clean City Education Program aims to Educate 4th graders throughout the City of Reading about the importance of Recycling in our City. The program shows the difference between trash and recycling, and where they are disposed of after leaving consumers possession. This initiative highlights our city’s program and emphasizes Respect for our environments and Responsibility for our actions. All are shown how to recycle, and the specific materials we can recycle from our homes. The children are given certificates of recognition for their participation in this program. The children are also encouraged to continue to work hard in their schools to recycle materials there.
A summary of the Great American Cleanup is attached.
Human Relations Commission
The Hardship program can offer short-term assistance with water, sewer, and curbside waste removal utility bills.