Office of the Mayor
Vaughn D. Spencer
Report to City Council
Monday, December 10, 2012
Good evening. I have a few updates to provide:
- On November 27th, I had a meeting with Kelly Coates of Neighborhood Housing Services and several community volunteers about the NHS Family and Youth Resource Center on Schuylkill Ave. at Buttonwood Street. The discussion was about expanding the services that are provided there to produce an improved community center that will better benefit the neighborhood. We are planning an open house there early next year which will serve as a way to re-introduce the center to the local residents.
- I recently had a chance to meet Phil Walz, the new Executive Director at Goggleworks. I’m very impressed with his vision and goals for the Arts Center. I wish him the best of luck in his new position and look forward to working with him to further advance our thriving arts community.
- I recently appeared on two BCTV shows, first was the “Mayor’s Report,” where Lenin Agudo and I discussed our recent trip to Detroit and how we can apply what is working there in Detroit to our economic development here in Reading. We also discussed the new restructured housing inspection fees that have been proposed. I was also a guest on “Hot Topic” where I discussed the 2013 city budget as well as covered what we learned on the Detroit trip.
- On Saturday, December 1st I spoke to about 40 young adults from Reading and Berks County who were attending the Hayden Films Video Workshop at Kutztown University. As part of the program they make their own Public Service Announcements on topics that concern today’s youth. I spoke to them about the importance of getting a good education in this difficult job market which includes seeking a higher education or attending a trade school. I also touched on the impact that violence in our neighborhoods has on the quality of life for our families and their future. I’d like to thank Hayden Craddolph for inviting me to speak and for providing our youth with such a creative outlet for them to reach out to their peers with positive messages.
- Wednesday morning, December 6th, I had breakfast with the new CEO of Berks Community Health Center Mary Kargbo. I had the chance to get to know her a little bit and she is a great addition to the Health Center.
- Thursday, December 6th I attended the Police Academy Graduation Dinner at the Inn at Reading. I had a chance to greet the graduates and welcome them to our fine police force and wish them the best of luck in their new positions with the city.
- Last Friday evening I attended the Fire Academy Graduation at the Reading Hospital School of Science. As I reported earlier, I had the opportunity to train with these fine firefighters for a day out at the academy. I got to see them in action and I’m proud to say that I saw first-hand what a great addition they’re going to make to our Department of Fire and Rescue Services.
That’s my report, and I will answer any questions you may have.