Processes to Report Graffiti
- Graffiti can be reported 24 hours/day, 7 days a week by logging onto Reading iRequest (this website can be accessed from the front page of the City of Reading’s website (www.readingpa.gov) and reporting the vandalism there. This is the same software that our Citizens’ Service Center uses, but anyone can access it from home without having to wait for regular business hours.
- Graffiti vandalism can also be reported to the Citizens' Service Center in City Hall, by phone at 1-877-PAREADING (1-877-727-3234) or by using the Contact City Hall Form.
Guidelines to Reporting Graffiti
- Provide the exact address and zip code of the graffiti
- Indicate what kind of structure was tagged (house, wall, sidewalk etc.) and where (front, side, back of property)
- Specify what kind of removal method is preferred: painted surfaces can be repainted – we need to know what color. Unpainted surfaces such as natural brick, stone, and metal can be power-washed.
- Be proactive – report graffiti as soon as it appears in your neighborhood
- Property owners who report graffiti vandalism on their own property can expect a response within 24 hours.
- When reporting graffiti vandalism on property other than your own, the City must first post a waiver on the property giving the property owner five (5) days to remediate the vandalism, or the City of Reading Graffiti Abatement Program will remove it at no cost. Removal will take place after the 5 day period has expired.
- Unreported graffiti vandalism is located, documented, photographed and a waiver posted by the City of Reading Graffiti Abatement Manager to allow the city to remove it after the 5 day waiting period expires.
- Our primary methods of graffiti removal are either painting over the graffiti vandalism, or applying graffiti specific chemicals and pressure washing, depending on the surface.
- The Graffiti Abatement Office maintains data from graffiti vandalism incidents, including photographs and estimates of removal costs.