Welcome to the City of Reading’s Public Works Department.
This page is intended to provide a general overview of the department and includes information that you might find useful as a resident of the City of Reading.
We have been recognized as a leading model of sustainable urban living and one of the most vibrant and innovative communities in Pennsylvania. In fact, Reading was the first city in Pennsylvania to be recognized for its sustainability leadership, earning a 3-STAR Community Rating in 2015.
The Public Works department administers a variety of programs that affect the health, convenience and comfort of City residents and the community including:
- Maintenance and repair of all City streets, bridges, sidewalks and medians in public rights of way
- Traffic safety and signage including a comprehensive traffic signal and signing network and pavement markings such as crosswalks and lane striping
- Design of public works projects and review of related construction including general permits and inspections for encroachments on public right-of-way
- The maintenance and repair of all City motorized equipment
- The collection and disposal of solid waste and recycling
- The maintenance and repair of City owned buildings as well as storm water and waste water sewers
The Public Works Department prides itself on providing quality services and strives to be responsive to your needs.
Please take the time to explore our entire website and check back often as new information is constantly added.