“The City of Reading, PA is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to compliance with all Federal, State, and Local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identities or expressions, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status and other protected classifications. This policy applies to all employment decisions including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, pay practices, benefits, disciplinary actions and terminations."
Help Wanted - Building Inspector/Plans Examiner
This position is vital to the success of the Community Development Department and the Building and Trades Division. The Building Inspector/Plans Examiner oversees every phase of construction from planning to finish to ensure compliance with the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code and City of Reading ordinances. The Building Inspector/Plans Examiner has direct contact with both external and internal customers; therefore, the inspector must have excellent communication and customer service skills. Also, the inspector must be able to readily adapt to, interpret, explain, and implement changing codes and ordinances.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Review and approve construction permit submittal documents.
- Issue permits for construction and demolition.
- Schedule and perform field inspections.
- Maintain and submit records of field reports, inspection results, and plan reviews.
- Assist developers, designers, and property owners with code-related problems.
- Support other City departments as necessary.
- Identify potential structural and building system hazards and recommend abatement action.
- Draft and mail notices of violation, citations, condemnations, demolitions, and abatement orders.
If you are interested in becoming a City of Reading Firefighter/EMT, Firefighter/Paramedic or Police Officer please click their respective link for information on upcoming civil service testing .
To apply for employment with the City of Reading, download and complete an Employment Application specifying the type of employment/position you are applying for, attach resume' if applicable and send to:
City of Reading
815 Washington Street – Room 3-03
Reading, PA 19601
An EEO/AA Employer by choice.
Male/female/disability all given equal consideration